If you’ve been following the blog, you’ve probably seen the little game I’ve been making in Clickteam Fusion. I’ve been taking it in baby steps, from a very basic time-survival game with some sprite centring issues, to a more entertaining little piece where enemies actually give chase and keep the player moving.
Here are the latest tweaks:
The changes this time include a few minor things like fixing that sprite issue, and altering a few speeds and sound effects. A test animation for the sword attack was made but not enabled due to issues getting the attack conditions to execute properly. There are a couple of bigger changes though; first, I’ve added larger, slower blobs, created when two smaller units collide. This adds a little bit of variety and surprise to longer games that keeps it interesting. Second, I’ve added randomly spawning hearts that give the player a life. This theoretically lets games go for longer, as well as giving you the option to play more strategically. Sacrificing a life to clear a path. Probably the most obvious change, however, is that I added some very basic floor and walls graphics so it wasn’t just white space.
I’m iterating right now, adding little features one at a time, and rebalancing as I go, but I think it’s a good idea to have a target “finished state” in mind. It’s a first project and I don’t want to get in the habit of iterating it forever. I’ll learn more getting the game to good state and then moving on to a new project. With that in mind, the ultimate goal is to include a basic attack for the character, replace all the stand-in art with nicer, animated sprites, and clear up a couple of the more fiddly issues like enemies spawning on top of each other and getting stuck there. Once that’s all complete, I’m going to stick on a title screen and a better looking high score table and declare that version 1.0!
And as usual, if you want to try version 0.3, here’s a link: